Lucas Avenue Practice hosted a successful Health & Wellness Open Day for all members of the public on Monday 24 July 2017. See pictures from the event below.
The event was well attended, mixed with members of the general public, registered patients, local healthcare providers and surgery staff, as well as a local Healthwatch representative and local Councillor Aleen Alarice.
Attendees had the opportunity to meet with
the Practice Manager together with new and long standing staff members of the practice. The event helped to raise awareness about a number of local healthcare service providers, all of which are accessible through the surgery for patients and residents of Newham. Patients also had access to refreshments, free mini health-checks and face painting.
Patients were also notified of the Patient Participation Group at the practice- a practice/patient partnership group designed to help ensure that the practice meets the needs of all of its patients.
The event also provided a great platform for local healthcare services to engage with one another, promoting a holistic and community based approach to healthcare.
The local services that attended included Royal Society for the Blind Children (RSBC), a charity on a mission to make sure every single blind child has the self-belief and skills to fulfill their potential, Newham Carers Network, an organisation designed to provide support for carers in the community, Maternity Mates, as well as:
AT Medics were delighted to host this event, and extend special thanks to the practice team and services who made this all possible.
Lucas Avenue Practice will be hosting a Health & Wellness Open Day for all members of the public on Monday 24th July 2017 between 2.00pm and 4.00pm – all are welcome to attend. See poster below.
The event aims to raise awareness about and allow patients to experience a number of local health and social care service providers accessible through the surgery for our patients as well as other residents of Newham.
Visitors will also have the opportunity to meet PPG representatives and members of practice staff, particularly newer team members, and will be treated to FREE mini health checks, whilst younger visitors can enjoy FREE face painting.
The services due to attend are:
- Maternity Mates is the pioneering project developed by Women’s Health & Family Services. It recruits, trains and matches up volunteer Maternity Mates with pregnant women in need of extra support in Newham. It is open to pregnant women living in Newham, Tower Hamlets or Waltham Forest who do not have a suitable support network, or have specific needs or healthcare issues.
- CYANA (Cancer, You Are Not Alone) is a patient-led charity that aims to provide a holistic support service to anyone affected by a cancer diagnosis including patients, their carers and their families.
- IAPT Talking Therapies, a free NHS evidence-based talking therapy service for people 16 years old and over, who are worried or have low mood.
- Age UK Newhamaim to maintain older people’s independence allowing them to stay safe and healthy.
- Royal Society for Blind Children is a leading charity in England & Wales dedicated to making sure every blind child has the self-belief and skills to fulfil their potential.
- Newham Carersaim to make a positive difference to the lives of unpaid carers in the diverse communities of Newham by providing them with a range of services, support and recognition.
- Healthwatch Newhamis all about local voices being able to influence the delivery and design of local services.
- Resources for Autism is a registered charity that provide practical services for children and adults with an autistic spectrum condition and for those who care for them.
- Newham Child and Family Consultation Service is a multi-agency specialist mental health service for children and young people with complex, severe or persistent emotional, behavioural or developmental problems.
- Early Start began in 2000 and focus on developing Children’s Centres and support services for children and families in the Borough of Newham. They provide education and care to youngsters through their nurseries and also offer parenting and family support courses to adults.
- Active Newham is a Leisure Trust with charitable status that works in partnership with Newham Council to deliver leisure, sports and volunteering opportunities in Newham. They aim to support individuals to become more active in their local community whether it’s taking part in your favourite sport or organising an event in your local neighbourhood park.
- Mind in Tower Hamlets and Newhamis a service established to improve mental health and well-being across East London. Their focus is working in partnership with several organisations to deliver excellent, joined up services that improve the quality of life for individuals, families and communities affected by mental health issues. Representatives from Mind will be present on the day to engage with patients and raise awareness of mental health services available to Newham residents.
A number of other services will also be present for the whole family to benefit from.
AT Medics practices schedule regular PPG meetings with SMS reminders, dedicated PPG notice boards and a translator if necessary, and are delighted to be hosting this event at the Lucas Avenue Practice.
Omar Din, AT Medics Head of Communications & Digital said “Our aim for this event is to improve patient experience at Lucas Avenue Practice and to extend an invitation to the wider community to join us on Monday 24th July when our surgery becomes an open house.”
Lucas Avenue Practice is committed to delivering high quality care focused on patient needs and safety, and is working to achieve clinical improvement through the implementation and advancement of quality systems, as well as continually reviewing and investing in training and education of staff.